UNCLE ISRAEL MOSSMAN, z"l

http://my-grandma-ethel.blogspot.com
https://my-grandma-ethel.blogspot.com/2012/02/uncle-israel-mossman-zl.html





























Baruch Dayan HaEmet 

UNCLE ISRAEL MOSSMAN, z"l

born 11.9.1930 and died 12.12.2018, 6pm,  5 Tevet 5779, age 88

Funeral Friday, Dec. 14 at 12 p.m.
Beth Israel Cemetery,  724 South Schumaker Drive, Salisbury, Wicomico County, Maryland, 21804
Arrangements by Sol Levinson & Bros.

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 6pm, Israel Mossman died; 
cherished husband of surviving Eva Mossman (nee Rosenbloom), Maryland; loving father of Ziona (Thomas) Swigart and Ira Mossman both of Maryland; beloved brother of Perle Mossman in New Mexico, the late Libby Melton of NY, Edith Hample of Atlanta, Pauline Jolkovsky of Maryland (twin to Perle); adored grandfather of Sara Mossman and Jay Mossman, currently in LA; devoted son of the late Abram HaKohen and Ethel Mossman in Atlanta after Ukraine.

According to the 1940 US Census, When Israel Mossman was born in 1930, his father, Abe, was 48 and his mother, Ethel, was 32. In 1940, he was 10 years old and lived in Decatur, Georgia, with his father, mother, and 3 sisters.
346 North Mc Donough Street, Decatur, DeKalb, Georgia

The Jewish Vegetarians Newsletter/JVNA newsletter, edited by Eva Mossman and Israel, and Ziona, daughter. 
Israel is coordinator of The Jewish Vegetarians of North America and directs the membership in the USA and Canada. 
Iserael spent several years on his mother-in-law’s dairy farm in N. Carolina during his younger married days. 

Israel M. is a retired Eastern Shore of Maryland businessman. He was a volunteer tutor for local business associations to teach new business owners. He also tutored Haitian immigrants, and the disabled. 

I recall Uncle Israel telling me how he could lift a full grown cow because he started when they were born. - Joy Krauthmmer
Uncle Israel loved sharing this story. 
The Son Of Big Sue
by Israel Mossman
excerpt
"There is no way to transport a calf on a tractor, so I knelt on one knee, placing my right arm under his hindquarters and my left arm under his chest, and slowly lifted the noisy, squirming, 90-pound bundle of joy. Then I carried him the half mile back to the barn area, with the new mommy following close behind."
~ ~ ~

Joy Krauthammer, niece to cousins

Baruch Dayan HaEmet 

Dear cousins Ziona and Ira, and Sara and Jay, and Aunt Perle,

My deepest condolences to you on the death last night of your beloved father, and brother, Israel, and my mother’s, z”l, only brother. 
I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you.
I loved my loving, caring Uncle ‘Izzy’, and he loved me since I’m a little child. Uncle Israel knew how to enjoy life, and share goodness in life.

May Israel's soul be returned to The Source of Life, and may his surviving wife Eva, children Ziona and Ira, and grandchildren, Sara and Jay, and sister Perle, and family and friends be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.  

May G*d wrap his precious soul - and yours - in comfort and love. 

המקום ינחם אתכם בתוך שאר אבלי ציון וירושלים
Hamakom yinachem etchem b'toch sha'ar avlei Tzion v'Yerushalayim

May the Compassionate One comfort you and your family and loved ones among the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.
In sympathy, sadness and much love, 
Joy
~ ~ ~

Baruch Dayan HaEmet   (Sent to all relatives)
Dear family, 

With great sadness and a heavy heart I share the news that my beloved Uncle Israel Mossman, Yisroel ben Abram HaKohen, released his body this evening at 6pm, and his soul is on its journey back to Shamayim. May his neshama have a speedy aliyah. May his memory be for a blesSing.

Uncle Israel will be met by his deceased beloved parents- (my grandma) his mother Ethel and father Abe Mossman. And his siblings Libby- my mom, and their sisters Edith and Pauline, all departed, z”l. (All the spouses,z”l, and my older sister Arielle) can also welcome Israel to Heaven.

Surviving sister Perle lives in Albuquerque, NM and will have a very difficult time with this sad news. No longer with any siblings, Perle is now the remaining child of her parents. Each year Perle would travel to her brother to spend the High Holidays.

Israel’s wife Eva is in Maryland, in assisted living, where Israel died tonight, Wednesday, 4 Tevet 5779. 
Their children, Ira and his sister Ziona (and husband Tom) are in Maryland. 
Grandchildren, Ira’s 2 children Sara and Jay live in LA. 

I very much loved my Uncle Israel aka Uncle Izzy ever since I was a young child. He made a big difference in my life.

If family writes about Uncle Israel, I can forward those loving notes to all.   

I’m grateful that cousins, Israel’s other nieces, contacted me. Naomi Jolkovsky in NY and her Maryland sister Libby Jolkovsky (daughter of Pauline) have made the sad phone calls around the country.

May we all find comfort in the loving and sweet memories held of dear Israel. 


In sympathy, especially to Israel’s immediate family, 
Joy
Krauthammer

Memories

Uncle Israel taught me about not eating meat and certainly not hot dogs or salami and I haven’t for decades now because of him. And I had loved my kosher hot dogs with everything.
At Uncle Israel's request, I showed the DVD "A Sacred Duty" from his JVNA consulting to organizations, i.e. LimmudLA, and shared elsewhere. 
I learned about dairy cows from Uncle Israel. 
We shared friends in common especially Jeff Oboler, aka Yosef Ben Shlomo HaKohen, z”l, in Jerusalem, author.
I learned that Israel as a volunteer would teach people about small business practices.
And he had a wonderful sense of humor and loved museums and music.
He sent me a telephone charm for my bracelet because i was always on the phone. 
He had a great laugh. 
Israel stored much of my NY belongings and Art work in MD when i moved to LA, but i guess they all went away when store was sold...
Gave him my mom’s LP record albums...
He had a general store, and wonderful farm and garden.  His food came from his garden. 
With my family I loved visiting him. 
Uncle Israel wrote longgg letters to me, and wrote a lot about history. 
I recall when he sold weird exotic gourmet foods decades ago.
Uncle Israel was a most fun uncle, but he didn’t like it when I stampeded his cows and they wouldn’t give milk. 
He didn't appreciate when I swatted at mosquitos and left blood on the walls in his home at the farm.
OH, we learned how to pick real strawberries and I still recall the thrill. We would drive them home to NY and freeze them in ice cube containers in the 1950's, early '60's.
Loved my Uncle Israel. 
May Israel's soul soar and with aliyah be elevated back high to the Source of Life and Heaven.
May his memory always be for a blessing.
Joy

from daughter Ziona:
"In addition to helping teach people about business practices, he helped Haitian immigrants learn to navigate their new culture.  And there was a stroke victim he helped for a brief time, too."
~ ~ ~ 

Note from Uncle Israel  bit of his BIO
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007
Subject: JVNA

Uncle Israel
Jewish Vegetarians of N. America, Inc. is the only group. Prof.Emeritus Richard Schwartz is the Pres. Eva & I have resigned from being officers, editors, etc. The only position I now hold is that I am on the advisory committee. That means I am aware of everything JVNA does, or tries to do & I advise, among other persons, on proposals, correspondence, etc.  I have had no formal proof reading training, BUT I am very good at it. 
At GA Tech I was in the top 10% in English related subjects.  Instead of the usual English classes, I did research & newspaper writing. (not journalism, as such.)  This included a paper up to the birth of Israel.  At GA Tech I had sources that were familiar with the Jewish Palestine under ground.  I used those sources.  GA TECH was hyper active on this.    The DVD "A Sacred Duty" is finished. (that Israel worked on) Publicity will begin in DEC., Jan., & Premieres.    Just contact Prof. Richard Schwartz e-mail rschw12345@aol.com to have e-mail newsletters sent to you.  Also, website is   JewishVeg.com      Also, JewishVeg.com/schwartz    will give 100  articles on the subject. 

Faye called Edith, & said that She & You were not in danger from the fire.  Israel


Israel in:

PAGE 167

Israel & Eva Mossman
© Faye Melton
at Libby J's home, Maryland  8.30.2015
I

Israel and Eva Mossman



Israel Mossman & sister Edith and mom Ethel Mossman


Israel Mossman & sister Edith


Ethel & Abe/Abram, Israel Mossman & sister Edith
middle children, Decatur, GA
(Edith Hample died 9 Adar 2009.)


L > R rear to front
Brett & Aviva Freedman (bride and groom), Allen & Toby Cohen  (Toby, z"l, died 2011)
Jim & Faye, Perle Mossman above, ISRAEL & Eva Mossman & daughter Ziona Swigart (above and behind)
(Perle traveled from New Mexico. Israel and Eva & Ziona from Maryland.
Aviva & Brett from Boston.)




Uncle Israel, wife Eva, children, and nieces and nephews   2014, Maryland
Uncle Israel and Aunt Eva, their children Ira and Ziona & Tom, and children of Israel Mossman's siblings, z”l: Libby, Edith, and Pauline, all 3 z"l.
top L>R
Aviva & Brett & Maya Freedman, Faye Melton, Libby (Jolkovsky) & Matti & Lyla Povoisky, Ira Mossman, Scott Hample, z"l
bottom 
Tom and Ziona Swigart, Eva & ISRAEL MOSSMAN


Aviva Krauthammer & Brett Freedman  
Erev Shabbat dinner 2005 (AJU)
L > R  rear to front sitting
Larry Hample & twins Jacob and Erica, Perle Mossman, Joy Krauthammer, NY friend Lilian Weissman
Faye & Jim Shapiro, Aviva Krauthammer & Brett Freedman (bride & groom next day)
seated
Ziona Mossman Swigart and parents, Eva & ISRAEL Mossman
Thank you for traveling to Los Angeles from across the country for Aviva & Brett's simcha.

Aviva & Brett (Boston), Joy Krauthammer (Northridge)
Cousins Larry & Erica, Jacob Hample (Atlanta), Uncle Israel & Eva Mossman & Ziona (MD),
 Aunt Perle Mossman (Albuquerque), Faye Melton & Jim Shapiro (Northridge), Lilian Weissman, dear NY friend



   Eulogy for Israel Mossman
   November 9, 1930 - December 12, 2018
                          by Ziona Mossman Swigart

Israel Mossman was born on November 9, 1930 in Decatur, Georgia, to Avram
and Ethel, brother to Libby z'l, Edith z'l, Pauline z'l, and Perle.
And more like a brother than uncle to Arielle, z'l.

Much like my brother Ira and I, he grew up in a retail environment.
In his case, a grocery store.  When he was small, he did deliveries on his
bicycle, and I know he had at least one accident.   Retail was in his blood,
as he followed in his mother's footsteps, working in a department store,
Davidson's, and managing a gourmet shop.  He told stories of sleeping in
the department store during the busy December season, and the gourmet
shop's customers' odd comments like "I don't want any of that 'kosher'
in my food."

His stint in the army included a very unfortunate period of Cook School until
an officer saw his fraternity ring.  After which he was assigned to a more
suitable job in his field, Finance and Accounting.

He met Eva, the love of his life, in a synagogue while picking up his
landlady, who wouldn't let Eva leave until she met Israel.

When Israel's father-in-law died, he and his wife, Eva moved in with
her mother and worked the family dairy farm until it was sold. This
remained a big influence on his journey to veganism.  He wrote stories
about the animals including "Big Sue and the Bridge."

After the farm was sold,  Dad followed his dream to Maryland where he
opened his own retail store.  We moved here in 1962.  My brother Ira
was born shortly afterwards.

My father valued education and he and Mom pushed us hard in school. 
He taught me to be a He taught me to be a "kick-butt" editor, although
he would hate that term.  He was a brilliant investor.  And Israel
excelled at small talk.  I guess I inherited that from him.  The investment
stuff, not so much.

After retirement from the store, Israel did volunteer work including
mentoring small business owners.  He also worked with Haitian
immigrants, helping them adjust to American culture, assisting them in 
navigating the U.S. banking and medical systems, grocery shopping, and
literacy.  This is another area where my Dad's vocations and mine
intersected.

One of my earliest memories of him were our "jumping lessons" in which
I jumped off the coffee table and into his arms.  We did this most
nights, right before he went back to the store to tackle paperwork
and ordering.

A particularly poignant memory is when Mom and Grandma were out one evening.
After I went to bed I was stressing out over my math homework.  Dad heard my
tearful wailing and came in to comfort me.  That night I learned that men can
comfort and have compassion.

Dad could be exceptionally bold at times.  He would go right up to anyone
who was smoking and try to talk sense into them.  We were once on a hiking
trail when we came across a tough looking couple wearing leather jackets
with chains. The man was taking out a Camel cigarette.  I was cringing
and tried to dissuade Dad from a confrontation, but he didn't listen.  He
went into his usual rant. "Camel cigarettes killed my father."  Well the
guy didn't try to stab us or anything. They had a nice conversation.
I hope Dad sowed some seeds of influence.

Speaking of influence, I don't have to elaborate on his vegan oriented
conversations, do I?

Lastly, I need to mention how fiercely devoted to Eva, my Mom, that he was.

He had a good, long life, and I think he made his corner of the world a
better place.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


"In addition there was a stroke victim he helped for a brief time, too." - Ziona


THE SON OF BIG SUE 
by Israel Mossman 
https://www.vrg.org/journal/bigsue.htm

Big Sue was due to "come fresh" any day now. When she did not return with the herd from night pasture, it could only mean that she had given birth and probably was in the woods, hiding from dairy farmers and other predators who might harm her newly arrived offspring. I jumped on my temperamental steed, an old cantankerous International Farmall "C" tractor. From that elevated, mobile observation platform, I could quickly check the fences adjoining the pasture to see where she had broken through. Finding the break, I jumped off the tractor and entered the woods, hoping not to encounter any unfriendly, woodsy creatures such as snakes, ticks, or poison oak.


There she was, in the woods, nervously guarding her newborn bull calf. There is no way to transport a calf on a tractor, so I knelt on one knee, placing my right arm under his hindquarters and my left arm under his chest, and slowly lifted the noisy, squirming, 90-pound bundle of joy. Then I carried him the half mile back to the barn area, with the new mommy following close behind.

Big Sue was upset beyond belief. She bellowed loudly enough to be heard in the next county. She was afraid that I would take her baby from her, and her fears were well-founded. But I knew that she would not attack me, at least not now. She was too intent on following her son. But she cried in her own bovine way with all the anguish that a human mother would have if her baby were taken from her.

It was necessary to separate cow and calf at once, before permanent bonding could take place. Big Sue, heartbroken and howling, was ushered into the milking barn. Her son was carried into the calf stable. There, he would learn to drink from a galvanized bucket by having liquid splashed into his face by a hand that he could suck. He no longer had a mother to nuzzle against.

Big Sue went to her usual stall to be relieved of her colostrum, the predecessor of her milk that nature intended her newborn calf to have. But when a pulsing, throbbing, milking machine was applied to her teats instead of her rambunctious calf suckling her, she kicked at me but missed--hitting the milking machine instead. She knocked the heavy contraption 25 feet, and it broke apart at its seams. If she had connected with me below the rib cage with that much force, it would have ruptured my aorta and my wife would have become my widow. Dairy farming is indeed more dangerous than coal mining. Trying to calm both myself and the rightfully angry cow, I said in my most soothing voice that it was illegal to repair a stainless steel milker (bacteria might hide in the mended seams) and, besides that, it was expensive to do so. Fortunately, my mechanic had mastered the delicate technique of brazing stainless steel with silver at low heat. Big Sue was still angry, unimpressed by my comforting monologue. The only remaining alternative was to restrain her by looping a rope forward of her pelvis and udder, and drawing it tight. The resulting pressure on her sciatic nerve would temporarily weaken her rear legs so she would not kick. But I tightened the rope too much, and she began to fall slowly on me. Not wanting to be buried by more than one-half ton of cow, I loosened the rope just enough so she could stand again but not kick. She was now subdued but not very happy. The milking process than continued without further incident.

There is no need for a young bull on a dairy farm. Since Thursday's livestock auction was a few days away, he would be lucky enough to be nourished by his mother's colostrum for a short time. Then he would live on "calf starter" mix--heavily laced with antibiotics but short on nutrients. In a few months he would become veal to satisfy the appetites of his new owner's family.

Since Big Sue became her sassy old self again in a few days, she must have forgotten all about her young son. But I never did, and it has been over 30 years now.

Note: The writer asked the dairy farm owner, his mother-in-law, to sell the farm. She did.
Israel Mossman


From the May/June, 1992 issue of Vegetarian Journal, published by the Vegetarian Resource Group, P.O. Box 1463, Baltimore, MD 21203, (410) 366-VEGE.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
I enjoy sharing with you, the life of my beloved Grandma Ethel and her family.
I look forward to receiving from you, photos of you, and your ancestors.
Thank you for visiting. Feel free to leave a message for me.
BlesSings,
Joy

About Me

My photo
Joy Serves G*d in Joy as a passionate performing percussionist, poet, publisher, photographer, publicist, sound healer, spiritual guide, artist, gardener and Gemini. "Ivdu Et Hashem B'Simcha" -Psalm 100:2 ....... Joy Krauthammer, active in the Jewish Renewal, Feminist, and neo-Chasidic worlds for over three decades, kabbalistically leads Jewish women's life-cycle rituals. ... Workshops, and Bands are available for all Shuls, Sisterhoods, Rosh Chodeshes, Retreats, Concerts, Conferences & Festivals. ... My kavanah/intention is that my creative expressive gifts are inspirational, uplifting and joyous. In gratitude, I love doing mitzvot/good deeds, and connecting people in joy. In the zechut/merit of Reb Shlomo Carlebach, zt'l, I mamash love to help make our universe a smaller world, one REVEALING more spiritual consciousness, connection, compassion, and chesed/lovingkindness; to make visible the Face of the Divine... VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE and enjoy all offerings.... For BOOKINGS write: joyofwisdom1 at gmail.com, leave a COMMENT below, or call me. ... "Don't Postpone Joy" bear photo montage by Joy. Click to enlarge. BlesSings, Joy